Do the preparation exercise first. Then read the text and do the other exercises.
Grow a sunflower
Growing plants is easy and fun. Try growing sunflowers! They grow very tall and have beautiful yellow flowers.
- Put some soil in a small pot. Make a hole 2cm deep with your finger.
- Put one seed in the hole. Put soil over the seed. Put the pot by a sunny window.
- Water it every one or two days with just a little water.
- Leaves start to grow after one or two weeks.
- When your sunflower's about 10cm tall, it's ready to put into a bigger pot.
- Fill a big pot with soil and make a hole. Carefully take the sunflower out of the small pot and put it in the hole. Fill the hole with soil and water it.
- As your plant gets taller, put a stick into the soil next to the stem. Tie the stem to the stick with string.
- You can measure your plant every week to see how much it grows! The flower starts to grow after about eight weeks.
- After the yellow flower turns brown, wait for the seeds to dry.
- When the seeds are brown, tap them out. You can eat them as a snack or in a salad. Delicious!
Would you like to try growing a plant? Which plant would you like to grow? Why? Tell us about it!