- Read about the grammar.
- Play the games to help you practise.
- Print the activity sheet for more practice.
- Remember to leave a comment!
Present simple – verb 'to be'
We can use the present simple of the verb to be to talk about situations and states in the present.
I am ten years old.
They are Egyptian.
My mum is a doctor.
How to use it
Use am for I. Use is for he, she and it. Use are for you, we and they. We can contract the verb, especially when we're speaking.
I am tall. = I'm tall.
You are my friend. = You're my friend.
My mum is a doctor. = My mum's a doctor.
We are doctors. = We're doctors.
They are Egyptian. = They're Egyptian.
For negatives, use not.
I am not nine years old! = I'm not nine years old!
She is not a teacher. = She's not a teacher. = She isn't a teacher.
They are not English. = They're not English. = They aren't English.
For questions, change the order of am, is or are and the person.
Are you Brazilian? Yes, I am.
Are they students? No, they're not.
Where is your brother?
My name is Alice and I'm 8 years old. I'll gives some examples about verbs to be.
I'm a girl. or I am a girl.
She's good at drawing. or She is good at drawing.
They're my friends. or They are my friends.
She's not young. or She is not young. or She isn't young.
First, log in to your account. Then:
- Click on 'My Account' in the top left of the page.
- Click on 'Edit' and scroll down to 'Picture'.
- Use the character creator to create your character.
- Very important: You must click 'Create character' in the character creator AND scroll down and click 'Save' at the bottom of the page.
Sometimes there is a problem with the character creator. If it doesn't work, please try again after a week. If it still doesn't work, please ask an adult to email us so we can try to help.
LearnEnglish Kids team