Do the preparation exercise first. Then read the text and do the other exercises.
Helping others is a great thing to do. You can learn new things and have fun. You can help people, animals or the environment. It can make you feel good too! How can you help?
Charities are organisations that help others, for example, UNICEF or the World Wildlife Fund. You can help charities by giving your time, giving money or giving things that you own. You can also help people or places you know.
Volunteering is when you give your time to help others. Some ways of volunteering are:
- visiting old people to talk to them or help them
- walking dogs at an animal shelter
- cleaning up a park.
Fundraising is when you collect money to help others. Some ways of fundraising are:
- making cakes or biscuits to sell
- doing a sponsored activity. For example, family and friends give you money if you finish a long walk.
Donating is when you give your things to help others. Some ways of donating are:
- giving your old toys or clothes to a charity that helps sick children or poor people
- giving your old books to a library.
- 5 September is the International Day of Charity
- The world record for volunteering is 77,019 hours!
- The largest sponsored walk was in the Philippines. There were more than 175,000 people!
So what can you do to help others?
Tell us some ways you have helped others or would like to help others.